- Go to System>Administration>Additional Drivers. Scan your system and install appropriate wireless and graphics driver for your system. If you don't have an internet connection plug in your ethernet cable first.
- Go to System>Administration>Update Manager. Click on settings, go to Other Software tab and enable partners repository so that you can install software like Skype and Java.
- Run update manager. You can do this via command line with:
sudo apt-get update
- Install Ubuntu restricted extras so that you can have support for audio and video codecs, DVD playback, Flash, Java (OpenJDK). You can do this via command line with:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
- To go along with that last one, install Medibuntu. Some libraries can't be included with the original download for legal/licensing issues, but you can still add them (Google earth, better media support, etc). Instructions can be found here.